Thursday, October 1, 2009

Remembering being a Work at home Mom....

I have been on a doctor imposed sick leave. I am pregnant and have a really bad flu. Not Swine flu, thank goodness, but have been knocked flat for awhile. Anyway, my son has been home with me, since his school is in Belleville and it was not at all convenient to bring him there every day.

I was home with him for the first two years, and I count that time as the happiest and most fulfilling of my life. I have been back at work for 2 years now, and he is pretty institutionalized. We are lucky, he has had amazing caregivers in incredible centres - I really can't say enough about them. And so, since last thursday we've been stuck with each other...

At first, in the interest of full disclosure, and keeping in mind the fact I was really, really sick and tire, he drove me crazy. A kid who is used to having other kids around to play with all the time, when faced with a sick invalid of a parent as his only diversion is - to say the least - INTENSE. I would be lying if I said we never watched TV (which we did) and is not a part of our regular routine, but I was DESPERATE. I let him watch a lot of it. Now I am afraid I've killed half his brain.

But, these last few days, I am still not well, but I at least have had some energy and can function, we've been having a good time. We are back in our groove. He knows when I need to take care of things he needs to play by himself. He is a grand little helper. We baked cookies, done lots of crafts, and played one heck of a lot of LEGO. We've had at least a small nature hike every day. I have a new admiration for him and his vivid imagination, he sees things in the most incredible way. I wish I felt better, but this has been such a lovely gift - a blessing in disguise. I am very glad I was able to enjoy some of it. Now I look forward even more to February when I will be off with my two kids, Mo will be in school, but only 2-3 days a week.

Motherhood, in all it's forms, rocks. Even when you feel like garbage.

1 comment:

  1. and you are an awesome Mom - stay at home or otherwise. Love the lnaterns - can we craft with you guys some time soon?

    ReplyDelete