Friday, October 16, 2009

Nostalgia

Listening to CBC live this afternoon to the beautiful voice of Steven Page - who always makes me nostalgic for warm summer nights, and sitting around the campfire with friends and co-workers - listening to my friend Luke play the guitar. You know, you never think you will get older, that you will always be young and adventurous, and then all of a sudden you realize you've become all of those things you were so sure you never would - or COULD be - does that make sense?
We get older, we have kids, then we spend most of our time being amazed at watching them grow - and time passes. Next thing you know your 4-year old is examining your hair telling you to pull out all those white-silver ones. I am not complaining, I love my life - and know I am so blessed. I am just musing on these facts...
I started teaching this year - which I love immensely. I am learning so much, and don't think I am particularly great at it yet, but I think I might be eventually. I feel energized in a way I haven't in a long time. It is the promise, the excitement of the students as they prepare to tackle the world, bringing justice and social change. They are not jaded, or too busy being grown up to care. It is a very refreshing thing to witness and be a part of. There is still a part of me that is 5, and 12 and 17 and even 23, and I am sure as I age parts will stick with me along the way of all the pivotal moments in my life. They say you can condense your life into 5 pivotal moments - I have to think on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment