Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Lucky Me

Things have been rolling along for quite some time now. I have not been able to say much because I wanted to be sure there was actually something to say - that things are really and truly happening. Now I can... I have news.

I've been working as a Designer at Loyalist College for 10 years now. In that time I have met and worked with (too many to count) amazing and funny people. I have been able to buy my house, have my kids (with incredible benefits) and extra time off, and go to work every day knowing generally what my day would entail. It has been a safe, reliable and enjoyable journey. A great job.

Though all of this is wonderful and relatively easy, there has always been this voice, nagging at me - saying - MORE! you want MORE! As far as my family goes - my heart has been screaming LESS! LESS! It is an interesting juxtaposition to be in. I used to think I'd love to be a work-at-home mom. I know now that I need a healthy balance of in and out work. However, since I went back to work full-time last September things have been nuts. My health has not been good, my sanity even worse and my family overly stressed. Too much time away and too many days of driving.

A few years ago I got to try my hand at teaching. Turns out I love it, and though I have a lot to learn, it is a really natural fit for me, it makes me happy and fulfilled. It was actually my alternate desire when I went to Sheridan - to be a teacher as well... and now - thanks to an amazing Dean and other colleagues - I will be leaving my current (35 hours/week) job to teach (12 hours/week).

What will I be teaching? Drawing, storyboarding and conceptualizing, to name a few things, in Animation and Digital Media in Public Relations. I can't wait. I know it is going to be a lot of work, and it is scary as hell to make this leap, but when your planets align, and suddenly all you have been working for is there for YOU - not taking the chance would be foolhardy - Don't you think?

This also means I will be developing a wide range of elementary and secondary programming for literacy and art visits to schools - particularly through May and June. I will also be able to start running some summer programming I have always dreamed of. I've been observing people lately - and I have realized that so many people take chances, and are much happier for it... I am glad to be joining the ranks.


I will also have a lot more time for my illustration work - which has been suffering in the wee hours of the morning... but I am working with a few publishers on some new and exciting things - and I am so glad I'll have the time to do them how I want to.

SO, at the end of August, I say good-bye to predictable and safe, and say hello to fresh faces looking to be inspired, more personal time with my family and hopefully much less stress, or at least a different kind... Lucky me. (and wish me luck).

4 comments:

  1. YAHOOOO PEGGY!! love you soo much this is totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Peggy! This is very exciting, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats peggy-yes I'm glad you took that leap of faith and believed in yourself! much luck with the new position, and yes-more time to draw!
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exciting news Peggy! I'll bet you're one helluva teacher too. I am sure your illustration work and the books you publish are going to flourish as well.

    ReplyDelete