Monday, September 28, 2009

SCBWI Agent's Day Conference

On Saturday, we all converged on the National Archives Building in Ottawa for our annual Fall event. Last year, this is where I met my agent, Kendra Marcus, owner of Bookstop Literary. This time I went to just see my old pals, learn some new stuff and see some new work, since next year is going to be a write-off for me as far as conferences go. I will be spending time with our newest member and enjoying every minute of it.

This year we got to meet Mark McVeigh of the fairly new McVeigh Agency, but Mark is definitely not new to the industry. Mark has worked as an editor at the top houses in the US and shared with us a wealth of knowledge of the inner workings of the biz. His down-to-earth manner and passion for the medium is obvious, he is also a technical wizard and yet another agent who sings the praises of the Kindle (when WILL it be available in Canada?). Anyone looking for an excellent agent would be doing very well indeed to get a chance to work with him.

We also got to meet Edward Necarsulmer IV, Director, Children’s Department, McIntosh & Otis, New York. Who was not only insightful but very, very funny. The passion that this man exudes for the biz is verging on almost maniacal - in a totally great way. He reps a member of my critique group - the very talented Nancy Coffelt and just raved about her. Also off-beat and honest and, well all-round nice guy. I am a bit sad I had to miss dinner and the late-night Canadian Whiskey... sounded like a good time. Baby and belly just wouldn;t allow it.

Thank you again to Lizann Flatt and Alma Fullerton and the rest of the SCBWI CanEAST crew for a great event. Kudos and I will miss you so in the spring. Think of me and please mention Goodnight Boob at least once, as I will be living in that very world.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you, Peggy, for taking such good photos of the event even while feeling under the weather. Get well soon! And we'll definitely miss you in the spring. Consider a mention of "GB" a done deal!

    ReplyDelete